Monday, July 18, 2011

I have avoided writing this blog post for a while now, going back and forth between treating my blog like an actual journal full of honest thoughts or just as a way to document the casual happenings of life, staying comfortably on the surface of feelings and emotions. I have decided to go ahead and treat it like a journal and see how I feel afterwards.

It's the time of year to start thinking about Baby #2. When Noelle was born, it was March, which ended up being just fine, but I had to take a maternity leave and return to school when she was about 9 weeks old. It sucked, to put it lightly. Those around me might try to downplay it and say that everything worked out and it was probably good to get back into the swing of things and be around other people and I only had to work a few weeks before summer and blah blah blah. No. It sucked. Asking a mom to leave her very small baby, no matter how much that mom loves her job or how much she loves the childcare, it still sucks. And hurts. And is not fun.

So, I swore that the next time we had a child, I would make my best efforts to have a May or June baby so that I wouldn't have to take time off and then return so soon. I also wouldn't have to deal with the mess of a maternity leave sub screwing everything up in my classroom, only for me to return and clean up the mess. Well, if you do the math, a May or June baby would mean getting pregnant in August or September. Which is really soon.

Is it too soon? Is Noelle too young to be a big sister? In theory, 2 years apart sounds like the standard spacing for a large(ish) family. Luke and I have not disguised our plan for at least 4 children. I want my kids to have many siblings, and after having the world's most perfect child the first time, how could I not be aching for more?

However, I am terrified that having another one will ruin Noelle's life. Seriously, I am. Everyone I have talked to who has two children close together says it is the best thing...that the older one loves "helping" and holding the baby and sharing toys. However, I have seen first hand at photography sessions that the older one turns rebellious, feels left out, doesn't want to "kiss the baby" if we pay him to or bribe him with cupcakes and milkshakes. I am worried this will become Noelle. Our sweet little muggins will just turn into a terror and resent us for taking away her "one and only status."

But then I see the sweetness of it all. I see the older sibling feeling like the baby is like a gift to him or her...that the two grow up to become very close and are built in best friends. I see that it is fun and crazy to have two so close together, but you are at least still in the "baby stage" from the first one, so you don't have to go from a 7 year old independent child to a baby who relies on you for everything.

I might as well have been an only child. My brother is 7 years older and moved away to Missouri for college when I was 12 and returns once or twice a year. I always wanted to a little brother or sister. But if I would have gotten one, would my life have been vastly different? I am sure different in both positive and negative ways.

I feel like this decision is 100% more difficult than deciding to have a first child. It's not even the financial responsibility that scares me. It's the time. Do I have enough time and commitment and patience to be a mom to two children and still feel like a human? Me not working is not an option at this point-- so two children in daycare...and how much more difficult will it be for me to do photography? My mind is absolutely swirling, and I feel a lot of pressure.

It's the epic battle between head and heart. Do I choose what my heart longs for, or do I let my reasonable head win?

As far as comments go-- if you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all...

3 comments:

  1. In the spirit of trying not to say "I know how you feel"...I know how you feel. Perhaps people don't realize the stress they cause when they ask you "Are you ready for another one?" when the one you have is only a few months old. Lawson is a week shy of 8 months and I agree with everything you are saying. While we are certainly not considering getting pregnant again any time soon (as much as I want more children some day and as much as I loved being pregnant...the thought of pregnancy right now makes me shudder!), I still think the same things you are thinking and worry about turning Lawson's world upside down and inside out with another child. While it is a battle between head and heart (and we know both can be equally stubborn), it is never a battle with prayer. While a beaming answer may not come to you while you spend time in prayer with this matter each day (though that would help!), it might at least give you comfort with the decision. As far as you being able to handle two? You are a warm, loving, and (overused word coming at you) amazing mother. There are bound to be overwhelming times with two children as there are overwhelming times with one child, but you will be able to handle it and come out on the other side an even better mother than you already are. Noelle is very blessed to have you as a mommy and any future children will be just as lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, let me say that I have no doubts in you or your ability (is that even the right word when it comes to being a mom??) to have a 2nd child. You're a wonderful momma to Miss Noelle and not only do you have your "real" career, you are rocking that 2nd job, too (seriously - amazing stuff you're getting. I can't wait to have you take pictures of my kids!)
    Having zero kids, though, and not knowing what it's like to have to leave a child at 9 weeks old (yet) - I can tell you this....like my mom so often tells me - God often laughs in the face of our "plans." You could plan and prepare and get ready all you want to become pregnant in August or September to have a May or June baby, but what happens if you DON'T get pregnant then? Would you put off having another baby for a whole year? I know that I have my heart set on getting pregnant in the next 6-8 weeks (omg) and having a late spring baby (don't want to be pregnant in this heat, thank you very much), but if we DON'T get pregnant right away, I'm thinking a July or August baby sounds just as good as a May baby. I don't know. Like I said, I can only imagine how tough it must be to leave a little one at such a young age. I don't know your circumstances and how soon you'd have to go back if you had an August or September baby, but just think of how many people HAVE to go back after their doctor-mandated 6 weeks (6 weeks!?!?) and don't have the option of staying home for 3 months. Obviously you're a teacher and that's a (big) perk, but I think with you in Muncie and working closer to home, you wouldn't feel the sting of leaving a little baby (quite) so much.
    I guess where I'm going with this is this: no matter what, you're an amazing mom to one, I would double that with two :) Like Jenn said...pray on it and know that no matter what anyone says or thinks, it your's and Luke's decision. God knows best....even though I know as well as anyone that sometimes it's REALLY hard to follow where He wants us to go.

    Praying for you - keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you better get started if you are gonna have 11 kids. you know it runs in the family. :) my sister and i and 23 months apart. it is great to be that close in age. it is the best thing to give your baby girl. she will love it!!
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete