Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Balancing Act

Long time, no blog.

If you think this one's bad...you should see my photography blog. It is sooooo out of date that it's not even funny. I don't think I've written a quality post there since the beginning of the summer. BAH!

I'm struggling with balancing my life right now. If I had a balance (like an actual balance that you, well, balance things on), it would be heavily weighted down by SCHOOL/PHOTOGRAPHY, and the other side floating so high up in the air would be the FRIENDS/FAMILY/EXERCISE/HOBBIES/FUN side.

Ugh. Big, fat UGH.

How do people do it? And by people, I mean the cute little put together moms who always look so polished and refreshed as they beebop out the door to work, and then arrive home just in time to get an amazing dinner started with a bottle of wine on the table just as their hott hubby strolls in and says "Thanks, Babe, you're the BEST!" all before she puts on her yoga pants and sweats it out so she doesn't look like a fat, frumpy mess? I KNOW there are women out there like this, and I just want to BE one of them.

There's got to be something that can be removed from my plate. I think what I am going to have to start doing is leaving school at 4:00 no matter what. I can't keep staying until 5:00 or 5:30. It's not good for my sanity or for Noelle's. I NEED to be able to decompress and have some time in my evening. I NEED to be able to wind down and breathe and relax and enjoy the things I used to enjoy, such as exercising and sewing and crafting and other things.

So, I'm going to do it. I'm leaving at 4:00 and you can't stop me!

As for photography, I am way over-scheduled. I am behind on sessions, and I am putting my foot down that I am no longer scheduling sessions from now until January. I can't. I won't. I need to have a break.

I think I would feel so much better if I had time for some physical activity. I miss Zumba so much and the friends I made there over the course of 2 1/2 years. I enjoyed that outlet a lot and I have been hesitant to try it in Muncie because I know it won't be as good as Fishers. I know this because the instructor in Fishers is DA.BOMB and that's all there is to it. So I am being a Bitter Betty about it and am digging my heels in. As a result? I'm getting fatter. By the DAY!

The joys!

I wish I could write a non-whiny post. But I can't. I tried. Didn't work.

So, here I sit. Saturday night. Luke's on call. I am about to embark on an editing extravaganza to end all editing extravaganzas. Don't you wish you were me?

3 comments:

  1. If you can figure out how those other Mama's do it then let me in on the secret. Just one day I would also like to come home without looking like I ran a marathon. And then I think, did I leave like this this morning?

    I think you're amazing and dedicated and wonderful. You're an awesome photographer, fantastic Mama, and I bet you are an amazing teacher. Don't be so hard on yourself and find a little time for you. Everybody needs it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacia. I get a kick out of your blog because I can just hear your voice through the words! I miss you and the many good times we had at Bethel. :-) I can't believe Coop is 1 year old and I have never met him. I hope to change this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ashley! I feel you so much here. I miss the Zumba and I make myself leave school each day so I can spend as much time with Ella as possible. It is very hard to balance everything and oh...that man you married, who is he? I mean I barely feel like I talk to Jimmy some days. If you ever find one of those women who you speak, do me a favor and just slap her for us both :) However I doubt they really exist and if they do, they have their own balancing issues too. I cry some days because Ella is at daycare all day. I wish we made enough for me to stay home with her, or only work part time. I ached to hear you talk about poor Noelle and her scolding incident. You are amazing! Just breathe :) See you this next weekend.

    ReplyDelete