Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Extra Mile

For weeks, going on months now, I have been trying to burn off this stubborn post-baby weight. I am plateauing. It sucks. I wish I could break through. Unlike Giselle Bunchen, breastfeeding was not the ticket to losing all the baby weight. Such a shame because we are so alike in so many other ways... :-)

So in an effort to try and get back on track, I have been going to Zumba twice a week for an hour, and then I stay after and do an extra mile on the treadmill. I also try to get in to the gym at least one other time to do a longer run like 2 to 3 miles.

I try to run that extra mile extra fast (fast for me is like a 6.3 speed, which is about an 8 minute, 30 second mile) so that I can get home and see my baby. I also try to push myself to compete with the person on the treadmill next to me...unless that person's Luke. He ran a marathon, remember?

Running is something I never used to enjoy. Now the fact that I can run 3 miles at a time is pretty thrilling. It is so gratifying to know that you accomplished something that you set your mind to...which brings me to the October 5K I am going to do at Fort Ben! I haven't done a 5K since the May before I got pregnant, but this will be my third overall. I also plan to do the Jingle Bell Run in December. One great thing about living in Indy is there is a running event every month that you can sign up for.

So, now I am in "training mode." I hope to improve upon my old race time and get my new race time in 30 minutes or less (kind of like a pizza delivery guy). Hopefully as the weather gets cooler, I can run outside because there is a major difference between treadmill running and pavement running. Major.

A really super cool invention for runners (or people who want to be a runner) is the Nike Plus sensor. You put it in your Nike Plus shoes and it syncs up with your iPod to give you your stats as you are running...distance, speed, calories, time, etc. It tells you when you are almost done. It allows you to set goals and achieve them. I really like it...especially when the woman's voice comes on to say I am done! It's a really great $30 investment.

And, as always, running the extra mile can translate into other situations in life...not quitting when you're tired...not giving up when you want to....setting your mind to something and achieving it....it's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment