Thursday, February 19, 2009

Principle 2

I read the 2nd principle in the book, "God Will Make a Way" last night. Basically what it spoke about was how you have to choose good people to be with you on your journey with God. You need supportive people who will encourage you and bring out the best in you. You need people who have faith in God themselves, and you need people who are going to be a source of positive energy. This one seemed like common sense to me...I mean, of course you should surround yourself with great people. The question/problem is...how do you surround yourself with JUST good people, without alienating people you do truly care about and have history with?

I don't want to just go through my friends list and start weeding people out. I am one of those women who really "needs" people. I hate this about myself, but I pride myself on my relationships and friendships. I yearn for connections with both my male and female friends, and I just don't feel comfortable "kicking people out" of my life who don't fit the above mentioned description. This issue perplexes me. 

I think what is really absent from our (mine and Luke's) lives is a strong connection to church here in Indy. We haven't really found a place that we call "home"...we aren't members anywhere. We have thought about St. Simon in Fishers. It's really great and seems to have young people galore, but how do we get involved? How do we make friends who share the same spiritual background as us? We really need to make this goal in the coming year. 

I believe in having friends in all "shapes & sizes"....meaning that some friends are great to drink and party with...some friends are great to shop and gossip with...some friends are great to hang out with on a Friday night....and some friends are the ones you  turn to when you have a crisis or spiritual question....these are the type of people I really, really need right now.

In other news...Luke and I are heading to see good friends of ours, Ken & Jenna, in Bloomington tomorrow night. Bloomington holds so many memories for us from college, and we really enjoy visiting when we can. We also are excited to see the Griles because Jenna just told me they are expecting their first baby! How exciting and wonderful for them :-)

This weekend, we will be in New Albany for a wedding shower for Erika and a birthday celebration for Luke's grandmother. I am so excited to see Gus & Solomon and plan to post pictures of him when we get back!

Tomorrow is Friday. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment