Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Perfection!

Luke and I had our "big" ultrasound today. I had a lot of reservations and anxiety going into this appointment. Of course I was so excited to see our baby, even though we decided not to know the sex until the baby is born. I just couldn't wait to see the baby as a real baby, instead of as an ambiguous blob like the two other ultrasounds before. However, I was plagued with nerves because I was afraid that we would see something we weren't prepared to see-- a missing limb, an underdeveloped heart or brain, a siamese twin!? These "irrational" fears kept me awake from 1:19 a.m. to 4:14 a.m. this morning, which isn't good on my already sleep-deprived body. Oh well. Thankfully, I had a field trip today to keep my mind occupied before this highly-anticipated event took place.

Our technician was great. She knew exactly what she was doing, and she was so reassuring the entire time that our baby was healthy and right where he/she needed to be. The baby measured right at 19 weeks, 2 days, which is what I thought I was. The heartbeat was 143 beats per minute, which was strong and loud.

The best part was seeing this baby move like CRAZY. It did flips. It did flops. It turned its back to us. It put its tiny butt up in the air. It played with its foot. It covered its eyes. It yawned. It was so adorable.

One notable feature on this baby was the length of its limbs. The legs seemed abnormally long for a fetus, and the hands/feet/fingers seemed really long as well. The technician even said that the baby has "daddy's hands."

Luke and I both have a hunch on what sex this baby is. We can't wait to find out if we are right. March will be here so quickly, and I know that we need to take our time and savor these beautiful moments. We feel like super heroes today, and we are so thankful our prayers for a healthy baby have been heard. We will keep praying, as we know that this little one has 20 more weeks to grow and develop, and it most certainly can't stop now!
Profile, baby's leg up
Another profile
Front of the face-- kind of scary!
Another profile shot
Just the lower leg and foot
Video of the baby wiggling around a little

Video of the baby yawning. It might be easier to keep it on pause and just drag the bar left to right slowly to see the yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment