Thursday, June 11, 2009

Vacation....Gone with the Wind!

We saved and planned and dreamt about our Kiawah Island vacation for nearly 6 months, and it was over in just seven short days! However, we made many memories, took tons of photos, and really enjoyed ourselves with Luke's family. 

It would be difficult to go back through and document each day's events, but I will try to do a summary.

The daily routine usually consisted of waking up around 8, eating breakfast (for me, it was the sugary cereal like Captain Crunch and Froot Loops that never, ever buy myself), then lounging around until 10. At that time, E and I especially would get our suits on and go to the pool. We would bake for a couple hours, come in around noon, eat some lunch, then head back out for the duration of the day. I enjoyed a few daiquiris by the pool (at $9 a pop, I will emphasize the word FEW), read the book "Divorce Party," and started on "Chasing Harry Winston." I am having trouble focusing on the second book, however. Maybe I will get more into it throughout the summer.

We would come back in around 5, shower, then relax or go on a bike ride until dinner. The dinners were my favorite parts of the night. Each couple/family took a night to prepare dinner for the rest of the group. The first night was Abe/E and "Love Shack Chicken." The second night was Seth/Liz and Taco Soup. The third night was CeCe/Clare/Marcia and Pork Chops. We took a night off when we went to Charleston and just really ate a bunch of junk food and ice cream. Luke and I cooked pasta with shrimp, asparagus, and bacon. YUM! The last night, Eric and Lisa treated us to seafood at the Charleston Crab House. It was fun seeing the couples in the kitchen together and preparing dinner with love.

On a couple nights, we played a lot of games like Apples to Apples, Mafia, "Wah," and other fun little "summer camp" games. We also did some shopping in Charleston and in the island's marketplace. I managed not to buy one single souvenir, however! In my old age, my favorite souvenirs are my photos of the trip. I don't need anything else if I have those.

We got to spend a lot of time with our nephews, Gus and Sol. It was so fun to see this vacation through their eyes, getting excited by water, sand, the ocean, alligators, etc. It's amazing how this Kiawah tradition has come full circle...from Eric and Lisa bringing their little ones to the island so many years ago, to now Seth and Liz bringing their little ones. I pray someday that Luke and I can do the same.

I didn't enjoy the 12 hour car ride home as much as I enjoyed the 4 hour plane trip there. However, being with Abe and E, we shared many laughs and had good conversation. 

We were so tired when we finally got home, but we are few skin shades darker and feel rested and ready for the rest of the summer! 

I can't post all 250 pictures that I took, but I can give a few of my favorites. Enjoy!

Before going out to dinner in Charleston


Luke when we watched the sunrise one morning


Beautiful sunrise


CeCe's world famous ugly face picture


Elizabeth and I eating lunch in Charleston

No comments:

Post a Comment