Thursday, August 6, 2009

Music to Our Ears

It's still crazy to type and even more unreal to say, but Luke and I heard the heartbeat of our baby at our first ultrasound appointment on Tuesday! It was an incredible, unexpected surprise!

Leading up to this first ultrasound, I was a nervous wreck. I contemplated averting my eyes completely and never looking at the screen because I didn't want to risk seeing what we saw last time. I just didn't think my heart was strong enough to take another disappointment like that.

But, of course, once we got all hooked up to the machine, I had to look. At first I didn't see anything, and I was completely terrified. Then she repositioned just a bit and we saw the baby! The tech pointed to it and we were just shocked! It is officially a 1/2" long. How cute!

Then...the best part. She turned on the audio and we got to hear the sweet sound of the heart thumping away. It was magical, I swear! I cried and said, "I am freaking out!" :-) The heart was beating away at 140 bpm, which I can proudly boast is right in the middle of the normal range, between 120-160 bpm.

The baby measured right where it needed to be, 7 weeks. The tech also said that once you hear the heartbeat, there is a 90% chance that the pregnancy will go to full term. I have to say that we really like those odds!

And now...for your viewing pleasure...


This is the one with the heart beat...












Don't be confused like we were...the round dot is not the head. That is something else (Luke knows what it's called...I don't...oops). The baby looks like a little jelly bean.



No comments:

Post a Comment