Friday, January 22, 2010

31 Week Blues...


Well, this might have been my least favorite week of pregnancy thus far. I suppose I am lucky to have made it all this way and just now be having a bad week, but I think I have had all I can handle right now.

I am beginning to feel some real discomfort in my calves at the end of the day. They are cramping and tight, almost like a permanent charlie horse. Fun! My principal keeps telling me sit down when I teach, but as soon as I sit down, a student raises his/her hand or a line of 10 kids appears before as if I am the tilt-a-whirl at the county fair. I would rather get up and walk to them instead of them bombard me all at once. The joys of elementary school teaching!

I am sleeping OK, but the irrational fear I have squishing my child makes me reposition myself constantly. Whenever I lay on my side, I feel the baby kicking and I feel like it is trying to prevent itself from being steamrolled by its ginormous mother. How crazy of a thought this is, but it still keeps me awake! :-)

I experience my first Braxton Hicks contractions on Tuesday night. I was laying on the couch and felt a sudden, weird cramping sensation that I had never felt before. It was decently strong and enough to make me stop talking and really pay attention to what was going on. It lasted about 30 seconds, and then a few minutes later I had another. I had several within an hour, but I knew they weren't strong enough to be the real thing. It was kind of cool because I got a little taste of what labor will feel like (multiplied by 100), but it was also worrisome and made me hope that everything was OK in Babyland. I haven't had any since.

Then...the WORST of this week was Wednesday night. Beginning at around 11:30 p.m., I got sick to my stomach and threw up. This repeated 5 additional times through the night. Thankfully, I got a phone call that school was closed due to ice, because I was getting ready to take the day off. I am assuming that what we ate for dinner, which I can't even write about because I am afraid I will throw up again, made me sick. I spent all of my free day off school on the couch, sleeping from about 10:30 a.m. until about 8:30 p.m. The doctor called in a prescription for anti-nausea meds, and that helped. Nearly 48 hours later, I am just now taking in semi-solid food. Chicken noodle soup and crackers are about as "rich" of food I have eaten over the past day and a half. I absolutely HATE getting sick (who likes it?), and this was a terrible feeling. I was worried about dehydration because that can cause contractions and premature labor, but thankfully everything seems to be OK.

I am feeling slightly better, yet sweaty and clammy and feverish. I made it through school, and I definitely want to be better for this weekend because we have a baby shower in New Albany and a birthday party for Gus & Sol. We also have the big Colts game on Sunday to see if we are going to the Super Bowl. There's a lot to be excited for, and I don't want to miss any of it being sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment