Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day 2010

I told Luke yesterday that I have officially been pregnant for every holiday except St. Patrick's Day (which is Mar. 17....may or may not still be pregnant), Easter, and Memorial Day. That being said, Valentine's Day is included! Oh well, it's worth it, right?

Luke and I had been planning on having a nice Valentine's Day since it would be our "last" one without children for the rest of our lives. Plans were slightly complicated due to the fact that he had to work call (call = overnight) at Wishard on Valentine's night. We said we weren't doing gifts, just a nice dinner out, but I had to do something special for him.

I went and bought all his favorite treats...mini Pay Day & Snicker bars, trail mix, trail mix bars, nutty bars, and gatorade, and I arranged them in a huge heart on our living room floor. It was cute and he was really touched when he came home to see it! I also gave him some homemade "Preg-O Passes," which are coupons for him to do things such as escape one of my mood swings, refuse one of my ridiculous requests, force feed me vegetables, or make me exercise. He thought they were funny!
I spent actual Valentine's evening with Kelley, whose poor husband works the 2nd shift every night (can't imagine), and we ate pizza, cake, and watched some of the Olympics. It was a lot of fun and great to not be alone!

On the 15th, our "Valentine's Day," we spent the day together running errands and checking things off THE LIST, which now has only a few small items on it! I am really excited! We even turned in a day care application for our unnamed, gender unknown child. In fact, the application said ? Ernstberger. Question Mark Ernstberger....nice. I felt really weird and guilty for turning in an application for day care before my child is even born, but that is the way it works around here, I guess.

We enjoyed a great dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. We were going to go downtown to St. Elmo's, but the weather got crappy (for the 10th time in 10 days), so we stayed on the northside and went to Ruth's Chris at 96th and Keystone. It was wonderful. Luke got New York Strip and I got Ribeye. YUM!

A lot of people have made a point to say on their Facebooks how much they hate Valentine's Day. I don't get that. I get that you don't have to do anything big and special to show someone how much you love them. I get that you should show your love the other days of the year (which I do). I just don't understand the point of hating Valentine's Day. It's a cute, fun holiday that is sweet and a great time to show love to ALL the special people in your life.

At dinner, we tried to think about all of our past Valentine's Days and what we did for each of them. We could only not remember a couple. Given that we have had 9 of them, that's pretty good! It was fun to relive memories, and I can't wait for the Valentine's Days to come with our precious baby, too!

1 comment:

  1. Initially we thought I would go back to work, so last January we also went ahead and secured our spot in a downtown day care...even though I was due in July...and we wouldn't need them until October, lol. It turns out they had a waiting list through August when we signed up in January! A SEVEN MONTH WAITING LIST. It was beyond ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete