Monday, March 29, 2010

PUB, the tub, and real baby tears...

We experienced three rites of passage in Babyland this weekend-- PUB, the tub, and real baby tears.

What is PUB, you ask? Well, it is "poop up the back." Noelle successfully completed this task on Saturday night as Luke and I were enjoying a fun family dinner of chicken on the grill, potatoes, and salad. The weather was mild, the neighbors were out, and March Madness basketball was on. It was really picture-perfect, and we loved being a family of 3, enjoying a spring dinner together.

Noelle was in her bouncy seat while we ate, and when I finished, I picked her up to hold her and talk to her. She had been "tooting," "farting," "passing gas" (whatever you want to call it) for a few minutes, so I knew a diaper change was in her future. It was then that I moved my hand off of her back because it felt wet. My first irrational 1st time mom thought was, "SHE'S BLEEDING! SOMETHING'S WRONG!" However, when I actually looked at my hand, it was a nice shade of mustard yellow. I knew what we had experienced here....poop up the back, or PUB.

I rotated her a little to show Luke what was going on, and his face was a nice mix of horrified and completely hysterical. He started laughing so hard that he had tears in his eyes. He immediately took her and we headed to the bathroom for a bath.

It was quite the task, getting a completely poop-saturated onesie off my baby girl without it touching her gorgeous face or hair. Luke began filling the baby tub and we plunked her down in it.

Prior to this episode, we have given Noelle an "immersed" bath one other time. She screamed her face off and made us feel like horrible human beings, even though we were doing a good thing for her. However, this time, she was pretty calm and seemed to actually enjoy it! She liked the warm water, and she let us wash her hair. She even got some water in her eyes and didn't make a sound.

As disgusted as I was with the PUB episode, I was delighted that Noelle finally learned to trust us and enjoy her time in the bath. It was fun to get her all clean and smelling like a sweet baby. I look forward to the next bath.
Now...I have mentioned that Noelle can scream her head off. She only does this when she is cold (so, clothing changes, diaper changes, baths, etc). Other times, she is very sweet and doesn't fuss. During one of her episodes this weekend, I noticed that her eyes seemed a little wet. Yes, my baby girl's tear ducts were opening which meant that real baby tears were just on the horizon.

This morning, while changing her clothes, I saw one, big tear stream from her eye. It instantly made me want to melt and cry with her. I now know why parents hurt when their children hurt...and this was just because she was cold. I can't imagine the pain of when she needs her first band-aid or cast, when she experiences her first disappointment or failure, or when she experiences her first heart break (I will kill him!).

Right now, I am staring at a peaceful, beautiful little miracle who is all mine...even when she poops up the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment