Saturday, December 5, 2009

Denial is....a river in Egypt?

Denial is...embarassing.

Denial is...self-destructive.

Denial is...dangerous.

As I have been faced with various health "scares" and concerns lately (high blood pressure, glucose test coming up, protein in my urine), I have been looking at exactly what I am putting in my body on a regular basis and simply analyzing it and its "nutritional value."

To say my eyes have been opened is an understatement.

At first glance, my daily eating doesn't look that bad. It's not like I eat a Big Mac every day and drown my food in shortening and grease. I really do try to do the right thing! However, take a look at this! I only looked at calories and sodium (for the blood pressure issue).

Breakfast: Calories Sodium
2 whole wheat Eggo waffles 140 410 mg
2 light sausage links 100 450 mg
1 squirt of sugar free syrup 30 110 mg

Lunch:
Healthy Choice soup 90 480 mg
Peanut butter/jelly sandwich 410 410 mg
Sugar free chocolate pudding 60 180 mg
Grapes 50 0 mg
Couple handfuls of chips or crackers 300 360 mg
Usually a cookie or something like that 300 220 mg

Snack:
Chips and salsa 470 830 mg


Dinner (this is the WORST meal of the day for me...can never decide what I want...usually don't make good choices):
Let's just say we eat frozen pizza 600 1000 mg

Dessert (I don't always eat dessert):
Ice cream 150 60 mg
2700 4510 mg (OUCH)
Suggested guidelines for sodium intake is 1500 mg per day. I am about 3000 mg over that, and that is on a day that I am not snacking in between meals or grabbing handfuls of chips/crackers as I am grading papers or doing stuff around the house (OK, who am I kidding...when I am sitting on the couch).

I am disappointed in myself, but I am happy that I have faced the truth. It's sad to me to think how I have subjected my unborn child to this crap I have been feeding myself, but I truly was in denial.

Now I know.
Now the pressure is on to do something about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment