Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Story for Believing

In all the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives, coupled with the chaos of the Christmas season, it is so easy to become down and discouraged, focusing on the negative and throwing ourselves a pity party. I am guilty of it, too. As much as I look forward to Christmas, I sometimes feel discouraged this time of year. The weather is crappy, the skies darken quickly in the evening, and I typically find myself a little more tense than usual. There's so much to get done both at school and at home. We have Christmas presents to buy with little money to do it. We have a zillion Christmas celebrations to get to and not enough time to fit them all in. What typically gets lost in the translation is our faith, which should very much be the focal point of this entire season. Our Christianity, spirituality, faithfulness to God, and gestures of love and kindness to all should really be highlighted right now -- not all the other "stuff."

Easier said than done, I know. Luke and I barely have time to "squeeze" church in these days, as bad as that sounds, and when we are there, we are usually making mental lists of all the other things that need to get done before the weekend is over. We aren't thinking about how thankful we are for each other or our families. We aren't thinking about the true meaning of Christmas, which is celebrating the birth of Christ and the miracle that was. We aren't renewing or refreshing our faith for the new year. We are simply showing up, sitting down, then getting up and leaving at the end of the service. Both of us have commented lately that we don't feel we have devoted a whole lot of time and energy to our faith, which is something we both truly value.

It seems that each time I start to question my faith, something happens to wake me up and snap me right out of it. Each time I think, "I can handle this on my own," I am reminded of the strength and support I receive from God.

Something that happened this morning reminds me that God is always there. We should thank Him daily for the gifts He has given us (one especially that is kicking the stuffing out of my belly right now-- what joy!) and for the protection He provides.

Luke and I have had a string of chaotic mornings here lately. Yesterday, we both woke up at 6:18 a.m., a problem when you have to be on the road by 6:30 and you haven't showered yet. I put my hair in a pony tail and managed to make it to school on time. I felt rushed all day and off my "game" a little, but I survived. This morning, we woke up on time, but I left the house in a hurry again, not eating breakfast, packing lunch, and leaving my teacher bag with two manuals and graded papers in my living room. I needed this bag today, so I frantically called Luke and complained. Being the wonderful person he is, he jumped in his car, drove to Noblesville and met me to give me my bag. We quickly exchanged the bag and hopped back in our cars. He mouthed to me that his phone was dead. I didn't think anything else of it.

I managed to make it to school only 5 minutes late, unaware that my sweet and generous husband who had just dropped everything he was doing to bring me my bag was having a bit of bad luck himself. Elizabeth emailed me at school to say that Abel texted her and said that Luke had a morning from Hell. I told her that unless something else had happened, I didn't think it was that bad, especially for him. I started to worry that he was in an accident and didn't have his phone to tell me.

She continued to say that Abel explained that Luke had actually run out of gas near 116th Street in Fishers going back home, and he was walking with gas cans along the road. He had no wallet and his phone was dead. Abel, by the grace of God, happened to be early to work in Fishers, so he saw him walking and was able to help!

Abel was early because he was taking Elizabeth to school because she had a bad morning yesterday, which included her car needing repaired.

All of these chaotic moments that caused so much frustration and worry added up to putting Abel in the right place at the right time to help Luke. I am just blown away at the timing of this all, and I know it was not an accident.

I am thankful for my husband who helped me. I am so thankful that Abel was there today to help Luke. I am so thankful to God for allowing it all to happen.

There's never been a more perfect time to thank God for all that's good right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment