Sunday, May 17, 2009

Another 5K Completed!

I successfully completed my 2nd 5K race on Saturday. I participated in the Geist Half Marathon/5K, which was the same race Luke and Abel ran last year (of course it was the half marathon version, though). It was a pretty course...but hilly. We ran through a couple mansion neighborhoods around the reservoir and then finished by crossing a bridge over the water. I had some difficulties finding my rhythm, which was a painful reminder that I shouldn't rely so much on running on the treadmill....I really need to get outside and train myself to breathe/run in all kinds of weather. 

I know a 5K isn't a big deal...I know it's only a little over 3 miles, and that my time of 32:45 wasn't that great...I am not trying to be an olympian....I just want to keep improving myself and shooting for a new goal. My first 5K was about 37 minutes, so I beat my time by about 5 minutes. I am proud of that!

A year ago, when Elizabeth, Clare, and I watched Abel & Luke finish that half marathon, we all three shared a desire to try for something like that. In the back of my mind, however, I knew that there was not a chance in Hell that I would be running for enjoyment....EVER. But here I am...and 3 miles is just a start to a lifetime of goals, ambitions, and dreams. 

One special thing I witnessed during the race was two girls who looked to be about 11 years old running side by side. It was toward the end...it was hilly...my ass was dragging for sure...and I wanted to quit. I really told myself it was OK to quit...just stop running and give up. I convinced myself that I was short on oxygen and was going to faint...so of course it was OK to just stop running. However, these girls, who were just a small part of a large number of kids in this race who were representing area elementary schools, were finishing this race and encouraging each other along the way. One little girl wanted to quit, and her friend said, "Look...we are not walking. We are not quitting. There are people walking back there but we aren't going to do that...we are going to make it...we are almost done....you can do it!" It was so moving and inspirational, and I thought...if these girls can do this, I can do this, too! And I did.
 
After finishing the race, I made an express trip to Target for a bridal shower gift for a friend, Megan. She is marrying our high school friend, Chris, in September. It is really fun to see some of my male friends experiencing marriage. This will be a fun year with all the weddings and babies.

Speaking of babies...our nephew/Godson's baptism is Sunday! I am really excited. When I think about being someone's Godparent...I am moved and honored and just really happy. This is really special for Luke and me.

Well, for anyone reading this (whoever you are), please be thinking of Luke as he spends the next 10 days or so studying until his eyes dry out (bad visual...sorry). He has worked so hard...has taken so many practice tests....has studied an unbelievable amount of hours....has been so dedicated and willing to lock himself in the office for HOURS on end...and it will pay off. I believe so much in his ability...but of course we would appreciate any special prayer or "good vibe" leading up to May 27th. He is an amazing man. He makes me so proud everyday. 

1 comment:

  1. We will be praying for Luke on the 27th :-) Jake takes his tomorrow...nervous.

    ReplyDelete