Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bike Trail - 3, Ashley - 0

For months I have heard Abel and Elizabeth rave about going to this mountain bike trail off 96th street. They go with friends, Sarah and Ryan. They talk about how hard, yet fun, it is, and somehow, the girls convinced me to get on my brand new bike today and try it. I say brand new bike because Luke was a dear a couple of weeks ago and got me a nice, pretty, blue Schwinn bike so that I could officially retire "White Heat," the Huffy that I have been riding since late elementary school (it's neon pink, gray, and white, by the way). Well, I have only ridden the Schwinn once before and have no experience with the whole "shift gear" concept, but I thought to myself, WHY NOT? 

So, 10 a.m. rolls around and Sarah and Elizabeth pick me up today. They are definitely jacked up, ready to go, talking about how big of bad asses we are going to feel when we are done. Mind you, these girls are experienced. They knew what they were doing. I...did not.

Literally, the first turn, I knew I was in trouble. It was too soft and scary and slippery and windy already, and then to my left, I see a steep drop-off to the river...so....I freaked. Within about 50 feet, I wrecked my bike. I found myself laying in some brush with Elizabeth laughing hysterically and Sarah nowhere in sight because she took off so quickly. I knew this was not a good sign. All I could envision was me tumbling to my death to this river, so somehow Elizabeth managed to stifle her laughter and help me up. Bike Trail - 1, Ashley - 0.

I get back on...a little shaken, but determined to be a big girl and get my Bad Ass on. Thankfully I was wearing a helmet for this next one, Folks, because I went straight over the handlebars about 10 seconds after my last wreck. You see, apparently you aren't supposed to use your left (front) brake. I kept squeezing both of them when I was scared I was going to die, which launched me over the bars and onto the dirt. By this time, I successfully gashed my knee and felt more than a little discouraged. Bless Elizabeth...I am sure it was a hilarious visual but she managed to help me back up on my bike and Sarah helped to coach me, too. Bike Trail - 2, Ashley - 0. 

Once again, determined to do this course and not be a wuss, I got back on. Sarah even asked if we wanted to turn around...and I said no. I am tough...I can do this. Give me about another 30 seconds, and I, yet again, flipped over my handlebars and somehow landed with the bike on top of me. I truly hope I am not sterile and unable to bear children now, because the handlebar gouged me in the side. I fear for internal bleeding. I ripped a hole in my pants and roughed up my other leg. By this time, I really, really, really, really wanted to quit. Bike Trail - 3, Ashley - 0. 

But, how bad could it really get from here? I have fallen three times and lived to tell about it, and I was still able to laugh with the girls at my own inexperience and ridiculousness, so I hopped back on and tried to enjoy the ride. Sarah got behind me and helped me to understand how NOT to use my left brake and when and how to pedal. 

It got flatter and easier, and I was able to take the bumps a little easier as it went on. All in all, I can see why they like the trail and enjoy themselves. It was really pretty and scenic, but the hills and logs and roots and rocks and not to mention the idea of falling into the river really played mind games with me. Nonetheless, I was proud that, after the 3.5-4 mile trail, I lived to tell about it. 

Maybe I will find myself with amnesia and forget about the painful falls and injuries and try the course again. Until then...the bike will be seeing the roads of Geist Landing Neighborhood and that is about IT! 


My right thigh...red lines have become raised bruises

My bloody, gross knee

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the addictive world of Mountain Biking, Ashley!!!

    Marc
    dallasmountainbiking.com

    ReplyDelete