Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Pizza Sandwiches

I am starting a feature on this blog called Tasty Tuesday. What is Tasty Tuesday, you ask? OK, no worries. I will tell you.

This blog has become a great way for me to 1) share my feelings, 2) share some pictures, 3) share my opinions, 4) share Noelle. However, I don't want it to be come stale and redundant. I would like you, as the reader, to remain interested and wondering, "I wonder what that Mrs. E is yapping about today?"

Thus, Tasty Tuesday was born. I enjoy cooking. In fact, I rarely feel more womanly and powerful than when I am whipping up something delicious in my kitchen. I am a self-taught cook who enjoys finding new recipes and buying fun ingredients like Dill Weed.

My food tastes have really evolved over the years, and I find myself interested in a whole new world of food. If this were me 6 years ago, I am pretty sure the only thing you would find me making is chicken fingers. I have now been introduced to the world of cheese, beef, vegetables, and an abundance of other things I would not have touched with a 10-foot pole. However, you will NEVER find me cooking with either of these two ingredients-- FISH or MUSHROOMS. So, if you're looking for that kind of thing, I hear www.foodnetwork.com has a great site.

Anywho...please enjoy as I have posted my first recipe for Tasty Tuesday. I made these for Luke's birthday party over the weekend, and they were a hit. They are customizable, so if you HAVE to have an offending piece of fungus (i.e. mushroom), you can add it in as you please. Just don't tell me about it.

Bon Appetit!

Pizza Sandwiches
Ingredients:
1. Crescent roll dough (I used Pillsbury's crescent roll sheets-- not perforated like regular crescents) -- you will need 2 cans per pizza, and I made 3 pizzas with this...so...my math tells me SIX cans for this exact recipe!
2. 1 jar/can of pizza sauce
3. 1 bag of Italian cheese (I used that 5 cheese Italian blend)
4. Pepperoni (or whatever you want to put on...I don't recommend a lot of toppings as the dough is thin)
5. 1 egg, beaten
6. Herbs such as basil, oregano, garlic powder
7. Parmesan cheese

Process:
1. Preheat to 375 degrees
2. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray
3. Roll out 1 crescent roll dough sheet on the cookie sheet. If you cannot find the roll sheets, you can use crescent rolls, just push the perforations together with your fingers to make them one long sheet.
4. Spoon pizza sauce on the dough in a thin layer. Leave about a 1/4" border of dough around the edges.
5. Place pepperoni evenly on the dough.
6. Sprinkle cheese evenly on top of the pepperoni. I don't recommend piling it on, as again the dough is thin and these are meant to be a "light-ish" snack.
7. Roll out a piece of parchment paper on the counter. Then roll out another can of crescent roll dough on top of the paper. Stretch it to the size of the other dough with all the toppings on it.
8. Lift the parchment paper and turn it over so that the dough is now on top of the pizza toppings. Peel back the parchment paper carefully. Now you have made a pizza sandwich!
9. Press the edges of the dough together.
10. Brush the beaten egg on top of the dough.
11. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, and garlic powder.
12. Place in oven for about 12 minutes.

Repeat for the additional two pizzas you are going to make.

When they come out, cut the pizzas into even squares (I cut mine into about 8 squares). Then cut the squares diagonally so that you have 16 triangles.

Serve with marinara sauce for dipping!
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment